The site is Greenham Business Park in Newbury, a former US military base. The 150-acre park, run by Greenham Trust, was only 40 per cent occupied.
As the trust’s planning consultants, Pro Vision made the case for West Berkshire Council to adopt a Local Development Order (LDO) to help the business park grow faster. Working closely with planning officers, we drew up the LDO which was adopted by the council in late 2018. The order is the first in West Berkshire.
The LDO provides significant benefits including:
- Removing the need to make individual planning applications by providing a clear framework for permitted development.
- Less risk and expense for business owners moving or expanding there.
- Minimal time delays - fast-track pre-development notifications in 21 days.
- The site is managed in a comprehensive way rather than piecemeal.
- Protecting neighbouring wildlife areas and nearby homes from noise and light pollution as well as heritage assets dating back to Cold War era.
Pro Vision's planners, architects and ecologists were involved from the start. The project was shortlisted for the Planning Awards 2019 (promoting economic growth category) and the RTPI South East Excellence in Planning Awards 2019.