This site near Romsey in Hampshire had been used for a range of industrial, plant hire and storage uses for many years. It was originally a tile works that made use of on-site sand. The site’s activities commenced in 1934 and continued for almost 47 years through to 1981.
The site already had outline planning permission for housing but the new proposals were for 30 houses with a new central village green. The new hamlet was relatively well screened with amenity land around. The houses included a mixture of terraced, semi-detached and detached houses all of traditional ‘Hampshire vernacular’. The large central green was the focus of the development and was intended to be a venue suitable for community events. The Council decided to allow housing on the site as part of its Planning Brief exercise following concerns raised by locals about traffic from industrial activities. The detailed proposals included a range of traditional and classical brick, rendered and boarded buildings. They were referred to by Planning Committee Councilors as being ‘innovative’ in layout and of a ‘very high quality’ in elevational terms.
We worked with the client in achieving planning consent and successfully undertook the Building Regulations and detailed design work for the scheme. The scheme was permitted in 2006 and has now been completed on site and is occupied.